August 23, 2011

U2 360 Tour Photos - Rice-Eccles Stadium

Yes, I suck.
I am slow posting anything this summer, I've been so busy with weddings I haven't spent much time on the old blog. I've had project after project that has kept me from doing much here. I aim to repent.


Lori and I went to U2 at Rice Eccles Stadium and it was the best U2 show I've ever seen. I loved the set list and their stage is always an act in and of itself!


With the obvious limitations of my seat being so far away and the fact that they won't let you in with a professional level DSLR, I like these images a lot. The Canon G11 performed like the incredible point-and-shoot camera it is, even at high ISOs. The image stabilization worked VERY well, allowing me to get clean, sharp shots at speeds as slow as 1/6 sec. A main reason for buying the G series from Canon is the exposure compensation dial. I used it a bunch here because if left to its own devices, a camera meters the entire scene and inevitably overexposes the subject at a concert. I shot almost all these at -2 stops which helped out with shutter speed. It worked very well. I think it's important to occasionally shoot with inferior equipment, it brings out the creativity and allows a photographer to test their ability to get good images within limitations. 


We had a fantastic time.  Here are some images from the point of view of an every day U2 fan with average seats. 




Lori with Andrea Hanks. We met John and Andrea before the concert for dinner.





Everything I need to know I learned at the U2 concert.

This is the look you get when you have a screen that flips around and you can see what you're shooting. Bad idea.
























The crowd at a concert is almost as interesting as what's going on onstage.







1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Random Web-related Links

Jon Woodbury Photography

Jon Woodbury Photography is the choice for artistic, personal photography.

Visit Jon Woodbury Photography at OneWed.com & read a review of this wedding vendor & others.

http://alphainventions.com

blog directory