January 19, 2011

Top 10 of '10 - Family Portraits

Today's Top 10, Family Portraits.
I shot more family portraits this year than ever before and I shot families from all over the USA. I really focus on personalizing the shoot to create something that tells a story of  who they are, not just what they look like. I really enjoyed shooting families more this year than I ever have, maybe it's because I had so many amazing people to work with! This was a VERY difficult category to narrow down to ten images but I finally did it. (Some of you whose shoots weren't processed fully til 2011 will have to tune in next year--I cut it off early so I could narrow it down.)
(There were so many more that could easily have been a part of this post but I had Lori help me choose so blame her.)
I think that the biggest discovery I made in putting together this post was how FEW of these amazing shoots I have actually posted on my blog! I will have to remedy that!

The Top 10 Family Portraits of 2010:


The Croft Family, Farmington, UT
I love this image. There is a formality to it that belies its casual pose and dress. I think everyone looks great, the natural light blends seamlessly with the added lighting, and the props fit naturally into the composition. It's got personality and sophistication. Overall, it's one of my top favorite images of 2010 all the way around.
See more of this fun shoot here!


The Schroeder Family, Harrisburg, PA
One word describes why I like this one: Verticality. I could honestly shoot all day in downtown Harrisburg, PA and not get bored! (Anyone else out there looking for a photographer?) I can't believe I haven't blogged this shoot! (My next three choices for this blog post were all from this session.)


The Cottams, Ivins, Utah
I love this one for many reasons. First off, I adore the Cottams with my whole soul. Secondly, they live in Ivins, Utah and LOVE the view of the red rocks from their house. We came up with the idea of using their view as the backdrop of the photo but framing it as a piece of art on their wall. Just cool. The lighting was interesting and deceptively difficult!
Here's the link to the full post.


The Debry Family, Las Vegas, NV
This is one of my favorites of all time! What a fun image! It allows for individual personality and still has a congruity to it. I absolutely love this family! You guys are so much fun!!!


The Jensens, Indianapolis, IN
You really can't go wrong with a little boy and a slingshot, can you? The INCREDIBLE sunset doesn't hurt either.
Click here for the full post.



The Bangerter Family, West Bountiful, UT
I just love this one. I love the framing, the background, the poses, the processing. I loves me some vintage. What a good-looking family! Another one that I can't believe I haven't posted.



The Jensens, Indianapolis, IN
I love the personality in this one too. I also like the timeless nature of it. (Truth be told, I think it would be a bigger challenge to shoot the Jensens WITHOUT personality.)
Click here for the full post.


The Johnsons, Bountiful, Utah
I actually would like to more of this kind of merging of art and photography. It was fun shooting with the end results in mind. We had a really good time on this shoot and I think that the Johnsons loved this images as much as I do.


The Hanks, Syracuse, Utah
Love these. Perhaps the two-year old was a bit small for this concept but she did well and they are definitely memorable images! I wish we would have ended up with a warmer day!


The Lindsays, Evanston, WY
Color is good. Big fan.
Not all families could pull off this shot but the Lindsays wear it like a goomba in a track suit. I love that these guys were up for whatever. The clouds gave us a brief respite and we cranked it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Random Web-related Links

Jon Woodbury Photography

Jon Woodbury Photography is the choice for artistic, personal photography.

Visit Jon Woodbury Photography at OneWed.com & read a review of this wedding vendor & others.

http://alphainventions.com

blog directory